In a week the Philippines have been hit by a typhoon, an earthquake, a tornado, and they have a volcano on their heals about to erupt (in Indonesia). And because of this and the relentless heat, they've had widespread blackouts, deaths, mudslides, capsized boats, and other horrible things happen.
Not long ago my American friends and I had a debate about our opinions on the strange weather patterns and disasters that the earth seems to be tossing our way.
The questions were:
1) Do you think there is a true increase in natural disasters worldwide, or do you believe that we just hear about them more because of the speed of worldwide news?
2) If you do think there is an increase, do you think it is a natural cycle of the earth, or do you believe it is brought on by some higher power/being? (eg- God)
3) If you believe it is being done deliberately by a higher being, why do you think this being is doing it? Revenge? Punishment? Cleansing of the earth? Boredom?
4) Do you believe we should avoid disrupting disasters, since they are naturally occurring, and instead focus on early warning systems that will save more lives when one occurs? (In other words, they are trying to learn to lower ocean temp so it will stump a hurricane, but is that a good idea, even if it worked?)
5) Do you think we are near a catastrophic extinction level event that will wipe humans out for eternity, such as a meteor hitting the earth, a major viral pendemic, or something else really cool like that? (Hey, if there is going to be a doomsday, I want it to be spectacular and I want front row seats!)
That's it! Share your thoughts!